Pambula Milk Bar – 31 Quondola Street


In the mid-1920s, the Godfrey brothers established their motor garage business on this site, and also ran Pambula’s first electricity plant from here, one of the first on the far south coast. Godfreys installed all the original poles and wiring in the main street as well as light points in a number of Pambula’s buildings.

However, in June 1936, a disastrous fire broke out that wiped out the original building, plus two neighbouring buildings. According to reports: “…it started in the service station, and before the Godfrey family were aware, the whole front of the building was ablaze and they had to make their escape with what they stood up in. Explosions of petrol in the tanks, in three cars, and in the kerbside bowsers followed, and dense volumes of black smoke from a large stock of tyres hung over the scene.”

Construction of this present building was completed in 1937 and Godfrey’s Garage, with its mechanics department, electrical repairs and wireless installation, occupied the new building for several years. The premises was split into several shops, housing a variety of businesses including a chemist, butchery and barber shop. Barber Joe Veigal reportedly hung a cow bell on the door for prospective customers to ring if he was enjoying a cool ale at the Royal Hotel. Every now and then, he would poke his head out the pub door to make sure no one was waiting for a haircut.

The centre portion of this building became a milk bar in the mid 1960’s and has remained so ever since.